256-Slice Dual-Source Computed Tomography (CT)
Computed Tomography (CT) makes use of X-Ray tubes (the source) and corresponding detectors oriented in the gantry, finally forms images by sophisticated computerization. CT can provide high-resolution images which are helpful in indicating the tumour size and location.
The examination time takes 15 - 30 minutes, depending on body region. Before examination, the radiographer will explain the procedure and ask for patient's medical history. He/she will also instruct the patient how to hold their breath for the examination. If contrast agents are needed, the patient may feel a warm sensation throughout their body during injection. During examination, the patient needs to lay on the table and move into the bore.
Preparations for Examination
- Please make an appointment. Please bring the latest relevant old films and reports (e.g. X-rays, MRI, CT Scans, etc.) at the time of examination for comparison.
- Please notify our staff if you are pregnant or suspected that you are pregnant when you make an appointment.
- Please take off all accessories including earrings, watches and necklaces before the examination.
Preparations for Plain CT Scan
- Patient may take other regular medications as usual with water only if no endoscopic procedures on the same day.
Preparations for Contrast CT Scan
- Fasting for 4 hours prior to the examination.
- For the patient with Diabetes:
Please notify our staff 3 days before the examination and bring related medicines on the examination date. You may need to stop Metformin 24 hours before your appointment untill 48 hours after the examinations. You can resume the drug as usual afterward. A renal function report in the past 30 days shall be submitted. Otherwise, a creatinine clearance test prior to the examination is recommended. Charge is HK$200.
- For the patient aged over 60 or with impaired renal function:
A renal function report in the past 30 days shall be submitted. Otherwise, a creatinine clearance test prior to the examination is recommended. Charge is HK$200.
- For the patient with Asthma or Any Allergies:
Please notify our staff 3 days before scheduled appointment for examination. Oral Steroid (40mg Prednisolone at 12 hours before and 40mg Prednisolone at 2 hours before examination) should be prescribed by referring doctor on the day prior to the examination. If you do not have oral steroid, Hydrocortisone will be injected on the day of examination. Charge is HK$300.
- Water is allowed if no endoscopic procedures on the same day.
Additional Preparation for CT Coronary Angiogram
- Please avoid the following items within 24 hours before the examination: cigarettes, pain killer which contains Caffeine, Viagra or Levitra.
- Special note:
The entire cardiac scan requires the patient having a good and steady heart rate. To optimize the image quality, the patient's heart rate will be monitored before examination. If our medical staff recognise patient’s current condition is not suitable for examination, the doctor will make an assessment of his/her condition before deciding to prescribe an oral medicine (for controlling the heart rate). There is an extra charge for prescribed medicines. It takes at least 30–60 minutes to take effect. Please reserve 1-2 hours for the examination.
CT Virtual Colonoscopy
- For a successful examination, thorough bowel preparation is needed.
- Please send the patient to our centre to collect the bowel-prep kit. Patient may take other regular medications as usual.
- If patient is taking iron tablet, please ask patient to stop taking it 4 days before the examination. Patient may take other regular medications as usual.
- The day before the examination:
Eat a normal breakfast and lunch, but avoid cereals, whole wheat bread or any food containing fibre, seeds or other indigestible materials.
- After 2:00pm, and until the examination, patient must not eat anything, only clear fluid is allowed.
- At 5:00pm, start to prepare and drink the bowel-prep solution, please contact our centre for details.
- Patient should expect watery bowel movement / diarrhea to start within 1-2 hours after taking the bowel-Prep solution. Therefore patient should stay close to a toilet during this period.
*The price listed are for reference only. Prices are subject to change without prior notice.